Communications is Fundamental
- Shapes us and our organizations
- Each medium enables new
- knowledge Structures & systems
- Computer-based Communications will be no exception
- What are some of the stories we already know?
- And what can we learn from them?
Examples from History
- Oral tradition gives way to the clay tablet
- City states, commerce, code of law
- Scroll to Codex
- Fall of Rome ~450
- Collapse of a Communication system
- 1000 Years
- Castles, Monasteries and Latin-net
- Why called the Dark Ages?
Power of Ideas & Communications
- The Renaissance began 150+ yrs before Gutenburg
- Arabic translations of Classical Greek texts arrive
- Paris & London
- via North Africa and Spain
- High Renaissance
- Greek literature arrives in Greek
In the Beginning ...
[all stories begin this way]
in a few monasteries, there were many monks
creating manuscripts. Then, in 1456
or so, a wine press was repurposed as a
printing press. The monks were
disintermediated, knowledge was diffused
further and deeper, and nothing was ever
the same again.
Go to Chapter
the Table of Contents
Return to Homepage
Email your comments to Jock